Our lambs are raised on wild grasses, heather and clean water to produce the purest lamb you will ever taste... Find out more
Our Farms: Kilbride Farm
Owner: Seumas Anderson
Kilbride - Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Giolla Brighde (Irish) or Mac Gille Brighde (Scottish) 'son of the servant of (Saint) Brigit', more often Anglicized as McBride. The name Brighid (modern Brigit) means 'exalted'. Brighid was probably originally a pagan fire goddess, many of whose attributes became attached to the historical figure of St. Brigit of Kildare (452–523), founder of the first Irish convent.Scottish: habitational name from any of the various places with this name, from Gaelic cill cella 'room', 'cell').
Atlantic ocean swells batter the rugged Island of Seil where Seumas farms the land of Barrmor. His hardy flock of Blackface sheep graze the varied pastures of raised beach and rocky crags to provide a healthy and varied diet. Family farmed since 1953 at present home to 220 ewes 50 hoggs 60 cows (Simmental and Angus) and followers. Conservation-farmed to support Marsh Fritillary and the Hazel woods for various rare lichens. Cattle also graze Ballachuan wood for S.W.T for the same reasons.
Points of Interest:
There are two ancient forts on the farm - Conc an Tighe Mhoir and Dun Muchaig. The shore line is called Brendan's shore probably after one of Iona's original monks Brendan. The shore is known as Brenphorts (Brendans Port/shore) supposedly where he landed from the islands - Gavellachs, Iona etc. Seil has been linked to the mainland by Clachan Bridge for over 200 years.